STATE ELECTION COMMISSION
Dated Aizawl, the 17th February, 2020
No.B.12011/1/2020-SEC/CADC/VC/4: Whereas, the State Election Commission, Mizoram has prescribed Model Code of Conduct for observance by the political parties, candidates and persons holding high public offices for the ensuing General Election to Village Councils under Chakma Autonomous District Council, 2020 and By-Election to Council Veng Village Council under Lai Autonomous District Council, 2020; and
Whereas, the Commission feels that there has been necessity for imposing restrictions on the activities of the Government servants during enforcement of Model Code of Conduct, i.e. from the date of announcement of election till the date of announcement of the Results.
Now, therefore, in exercise of the powers conferred under Article 243K & 243ZA of the Constitution of India read with sub-section (7) of Section 3 of The Chakma Autonomous District Council (Village Councils) (Amendment) Act, 2014 and Rule 3 (5) of the Lai Autonomous District Council (Election to Village Councils) (Amendment) Rules, 2011, the Commission hereby orders that a Government servant holding office in State Government, Autonomous District Council, Central Government, Public Sector Enterprise of State or Central Government, Statutory Bodies getting financial assistance from the Government within the LADC area will come under the purview of the Code of Conduct for observance by the Government servants as follows:-
(1) A Government servant shall remain absolutely impartial during the election and he/she shall not indulge in any campaigning activities for or against any contesting candidate or political party;
(2) No Government servant shall subscribe in aid of, or assist in any way, any candidate;
(3) The Government servant shall not himself speak at or take active and prominent part in organizing or conducting the meeting;
(4) No Government servant should accompany a Minister/Chief Executive Member/Executive Member/ Member of District Council or such other political functionaries for electioneering;
(5) No Government servant should attend any political meeting except those who are in-charge of maintenance of law and order or those deployed for security duties;
(6) Police personnel engaged in law and order duties shall not be construed as participating in the meeting of any candidate;
(7) While dealing with different political parties in day to day official transaction each Government servant shall maintain absolute neutrality. While registering cases on complaint filed by different political groups or contesting candidates or their supporters, police will take prompt steps in most impartial manner;
(8) Violation of Code of Conduct by any Government servant will make himself/herself liable to disciplinary proceeding under the provisions of the Central Civil Services (Classification, Control and Appeal) Rules, 1965.
By order, etc.,
Sd/- TERESY VANLALHRUAII
State Election Commission,
Memo No.B.12011/1/2020-SEC/CADC/VC/4 : Dated Aizawl, the 17th February, 2020
- Secretary to the Governor of Mizoram for kind information of the Hon’ble Governor.
- Sr. P.P.S to Chief Secretary, Government of Mizoram for favour of information and necessary action.
- Commissioner & Secretary to the Government of Mizoram, General Administration Department.
- Secretary to the Government of Mizoram, District Council and Minority Affairs Department.
- All Heads of Department/Administrative Heads, for favor of information.
- Deputy Commissioner & DEO, Lawngtlai District, Lawngtlai for information and wide publicity.
- Chief Executive Member, CADC/LADC for information and necessary action.
- Director, I&PR Department for favour of information and wide publicity.
State Election Commission,